"...we should pass over all biographies of 'the good and the great,' while we search carefully the slight records of wretches who died in prison, in Bedlam, or upon the gallows."
~Edgar Allan Poe

Sunday, January 1, 2017

A Strange Company 2016



As has become my habit each January 1, here are the most popular posts presented on my obscure little blog over the past year.  This look back is fun for me, and, I hope, not overly boring for you.  I'm always curious to see which posts got readers and which sank like the proverbial brick.  They are ranked in order, with the most-read first.

Without further ado, I present The Year in Strange Company!

1. The Mystery of Annie Hearn's Sandwiches

I always say, you can't beat a good old-fashioned British poisoning mystery.

2. Newspaper Clipping(s) of the Independence Day

Fourth of July body-counts are always a popular favorite.

3. Grace Sherwood, the Litigious Witch

An early American lady who spent more time in courtrooms than she did in covens.

4. The Awful Greatness of the Cherry Sisters

This post was a particular favorite of mine, so I'm glad to see the girls made the list.

5. The Devil of Macon

An unusual 17th century poltergeist case.

6. Newspaper Clipping of the Day, November 2

This particular "Famous Cats of New England" post made the top ten due to being shared on what must be a popular Facebook page.  Unfortunately, my stats don't allow me to see which page this was, but whoever you are, thanks!

7. The Ghosts of Antigonish

Canada's most famous fiery poltergeist.

8. Weekend Link Dump, May 27

The WLDs usually get fewer hits than my "regular" posts, and I have no idea why this one in particular was so popular.  Full credit must go to Potter, I guess.



9. The Hinterkaifeck Mystery

The strangest and most chilling mass murder mystery I've ever heard of.

10. The Midsomer Murder of Rose Harsent

Sex, scandal and violent death in a quaint English village.  Paging Tom Barnaby!

And with that, we say goodbye to 2016.  Many thanks to everyone who read this blog over the past year.  I hope you find something to your liking here in 2017, as we bring on more ghosts, murders, witches, and elephant-sized cats!

10 comments:

  1. I'm surprised the WLD get fewer hits, I look forward to it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's funny. I've had a number of people tell me--in so many words--that the WLD is the only reason they bother to read my stupid blog, so why it usually gets fewer hits is a bit of a mystery to me.

      Delete
  2. Thank you for another year of stranger-than-fiction hilarity. I look forward to more weirdness & mayhem in 2017!

    ReplyDelete
  3. All the best in '17, you made parts of '16 much more fun.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Another good list. I recall most of these articles. I like the Cherry Sisters, too. Such perseverence they had.

    I think the link dumps are not commented upon simply because people read so many articles from them that they don't want to comment on each one they read.

    Keep up the highly entertaining work in 2017!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just want to say I've always thought your blog was terrific and a bright spot in my week. And now I'm going to share it yet again because, dammit, people need to know about it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I found your blog about a year ago and have become a devoted reader. I think I found you when searching for information about Joan Risch, whom I've been obsessed with since I saw a segment about her on Unsolved Mysteries as a kid. Anyway, I think your blog is really interesting and I try not to miss any posts. You find such fascinating cases and you're a great writer.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the WLD, because you get such a wide range of articles covering so many different things.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I always like the WLD - it reminds me of a lucky dip!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated. Because no one gets to be rude and obnoxious around here except the author of this blog.