"...we should pass over all biographies of 'the good and the great,' while we search carefully the slight records of wretches who died in prison, in Bedlam, or upon the gallows."
~Edgar Allan Poe

Friday, December 30, 2022

Weekend Link Dump

 

"The Witches' Cove," Follower of Jan Mandijn

Everyone here at Strange Company HQ wishes all of you a Happy New Year!


The wedding of Margaret of York and Charles the Bold.

A stray kitten's merry Christmas.

An eyewitness account of WWI's famed "Christmas truce."

A Christmas Day 1804 petition to the East India Company.

India's singing city.

Worst Christmas gift ever?

The rise and fall of Roman Britain.

The life of a Victorian author of "penny dreadfuls."

Christmas in Tudor England.

A Christmas fund for sandwichmen.

Mattie Lee Price, the Georgian Wonder.

Canada's greatest public toilets.

The frat party that left Americans singing "Auld Lang Syne."

A Fire Department horse who earned his pension.

We've really been underestimating Neanderthals.

How to have one really boring party.

The disease that wiped out the Aztecs.

When chocolatiers go to war.

"Rough music" in Scotland.

In search of the Jersey Devil.

The lost habit of "two sleeps."

Cologne Cathedral, home of the candy cane.

Meet the face of Egypt's most powerful Pharaoh.

A brief history of drinking songs.

The long history of "holy fire disease."

Britain's last witchcraft trial.

A memory of a childhood Christmas.

A bit of shameless self-promotion: Bored Panda quoted me in their article about weird Christmas images.

That's all for this final Link Dump of the 2022!  See you all on Sunday, when I'll look at the most popular Strange Company posts from the last twelve months.  In the meantime, I wish you all a Happy New Year!

I'm sure I'm not the only one thrilled to see the last of this dystopian pest-hole of a year.

5 comments:

  1. The best to all who visit here, with thanks to Undine

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had no idea that the population of what became Mexico was so high just before the Europeans arrived. What a thriving land it must have been. I've read of the 1914 Christmas truce previously; I think very few if any German officers joined in, while British officers did. The French didn't have such a truce, I think, which is understandable, since their country was the one partially occupied by the Germans. And the bust of Ramses II? Fascinating!

    And you deserve some self-promotion. I checked out Bored Panda and was mystified, alarmed and creeped out by some of those images. The rabbits on penny-farthing bicycle didn't bother me. The cabbage-woman will terrify me in my dreams...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Best New Year's wishes to the cat Strange Company and her owner Undine. Better company!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My earlier comment didn't show up here... I remarked upon the pre-conquest Mexican population being so great, and the Christmas truce on the Western Front, and how no German officers participated. I also found the story on Ramses II's reconstructed bust to be fascinating. Another good collection of stories.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, and I congratulated you on Bored Panda citing you. But I was frightened by the cabbage-woman...

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated. Because no one gets to be rude and obnoxious around here except the author of this blog.