"...we should pass over all biographies of 'the good and the great,' while we search carefully the slight records of wretches who died in prison, in Bedlam, or upon the gallows."
~Edgar Allan Poe

Wednesday, December 13, 2023

Newspaper Clipping of the Day

Via Newspapers.com



As I have mentioned before, my beloved “Illustrated Police News” is an unexpected source of nifty little ghost stories, such as this item in the September 4, 1897 issue:

The good folk of Halton Holegate, a village near Spilsby, in Lincolnshire, are excited over a ghost story. For some time rumours have been afloat of human bones having been discovered under the brick floor of a farm near the village, of strange, unearthly tappings having been heard, and of the appearance of a ghostly visitor as the precursor of these happenings. 

The farmstead, where the weird sounds are said to have been heard and the ghost is said to have been seen, stands some distance from the high road, and is occupied by Mr. and Mrs. Wilson and a man-servant. Mrs. Wilson has been seen, and has told the following remarkable story: 

"We came here on Lady Day last. The first night or so we heard very strange noises about midnight, as though someone was knocking at the door and walls.

“Once it seemed as though someone was moving all the things about in a hurry downstairs. Another time the noise was like a heavy picture falling from the wall, but in the morning I found everything as right as it was the night before.

“The servant man left, saying he dared not stop, and we had to get another. Then about six weeks ago, I saw something.  Before getting into bed, my husband having retired before me, I went downstairs to see the cow, and just as I was about to go up again I saw an old man standing at the top looking at me. He was standing as though he was very round-shouldered. How I got past I can't say, but I darted past him into the bed-room and slammed the door.

Afterwards I felt that someone was behind me; I turned round sharply,and there again stood the same old man. He quickly vanished, but I am quite certain I saw him. I have also seen him several times since, though not quite so distinctly.”

Mrs. Wilson next conducted her interviewer to the sitting-room, where a gruesome discovery had been made.

The floor in one corner had been very uneven, and a day or two ago Mrs. Wilson took up the bricks with the intention of relaying them. No sooner had she done this than a most disagreeable odour was emitted.  Her suspicions being aroused, she called her husband, and the two commenced a minute examination.

Three or four bones were soon turned over, together with a gold ring and several pieces of old black silk. All these had evidently been buried in quicklime. Asked what her own opinion of the affair was, Mrs. Wilson confidently asserted her belief that at some time or other foul play had taken place.

She was fully persuaded in her own mind with regard to the apparition, and though it was suggested she might have been mistaken, she disdained the idea as being beneath notice.  Dr. Gay, a local medical man, to whom the bones have been submitted, states that they are undoubtedly human, but he believes them to be nearly 100 years old.

The story made headlines in newspapers as far away as New Zealand, but I was unable to find any follow-ups.

3 comments:

  1. Over Fen and Wold. project gutenburg seaech in book for "Extraordinary Happenings"

    I got this fomr https://forums.forteana.org/index.php?threads/a-victorian-lincolnshire-haunting-halton-holgate.69513/. but the gutenburg link didn't work. no followups but a little mor ebackstopry/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Often, the discovery of a murder victim ends the haunting. I wonder if that happened here.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated. Because no one gets to be rude and obnoxious around here except the author of this blog.