"...we should pass over all biographies of 'the good and the great,' while we search carefully the slight records of wretches who died in prison, in Bedlam, or upon the gallows."
~Edgar Allan Poe

Wednesday, May 20, 2020

Newspaper Clipping of the Day

Via Newspapers.com


Some strange doings in Northern California were reported in the “San Francisco Examiner” for September 18, 1893:
The people of Eureka valley are not sleeping well o' nights just now. Their rest is disturbed by the vision of a figure with long black hair and robed in garments of flowing white that wanders about without a keeper.

James Hoar, who resides at Eureka and Nineteenth streets, is responsible for the wakefulness of this neighborhood. He affirms with all the fervor of a man convinced of his own veracity that a queer thing from another realm is abroad in the land. He Is backed up by the members of his family and cannot be silenced by the jeers of an unbelieving set of young men who make the grocery store of Henry Holman,on Market and Seventeenth streets, their headquarters.

When spoken to yesterday Mr. Hoar said: “I first saw the thing, whatever it is, about two weeks ago. It was drifting along the street below here, keeping in the shadow and not making a sound. I wondered why I could not hear the footstep and looked at it closely. It was six feet high I thought, with long black hair falling on the white robe that reached close to the sidewalk. I could see the face and hands distinctly. When I first saw the thing a chill ran through me and my inclination was to run. But I could not move.

“For the first time in my life my feet seemed glued to the ground. Then my hair began to rise and I felt a dreadful sinking, although I was not sure I was frightened. As I looked at the thing in white it suddenly moved off at a right angle to the direction in which it was walking and ran down the street. I was seized with a desire to fly at that same moment and did some swift moving to my home."

After pausing a moment or two to reflect on his queer experience Mr. Hoar resumed: "The next night I saw the thing on the doorstep of ex-Supervisor's Barry's home. It was in such plain view that I could see the folds in the robe and the contour of the human figure. Now, I don't want to say it was a ghost, because I don't believe in such things. It may be that it is some person who is in a scheme to lower real estate values in the neighborhood or perhaps some one lying in wait for a fellow to do him harm. All that I want to volunteer it that it is a queer thing that causes you to feel very strange."

James Hoar and his brother John, who believes his relative's story, are men of muscle and courage, regarded as truthful and intelligent by their numerous friends. Neither seeks to exaggerate the incident related, although it is evident they think there is something uncanny about the pale specter. The story has been told in every home of the vicinity, and has occasioned a great deal of excitement.

On Thursday evening last quite a number of young fellows assembled, led by Charles Kufman, Charles Duvernick and Henry Holman, and went on a hunt for the disturbing spirit of the valley. The crowd patrolled Nineteenth street for several blocks, but were not favored with a glimpse of the strange thing in the flowing robes. Three men, led by John Hennessey, made a second trip on Friday night without result. Patrick Joiner, a hard-headed person who has taken quite an interest in the specter and accompanied both the exploring parlies, is skeptical.

"From all that I have heard," he said, "I would not be the least surprised if some person sent a bullet into the leg of the spook and that there would be an immediate call for the police ambulance. It's no somnambulist, I'm sure, but a fake of the worst kind."

Despite Mr. Joiner's skepticism, however, the people living within a mile of the Hoar residence are determined to continue the investigation, and if it is a joke the perpetrator will be roughly handled. Residents of the district who are compelled to be out late carry firearms, and several gentlemen have secured keys to the police patrol box on Seventeenth and Market streets. From all accounts the favorite time for the vision in white to materialize is between 10 and 11 o'clock. It is significant that the wanderings of the apparition have been somewhat circumscribed since the search parties have been organized, and the Hoar brothers have declared their intention of testing its substance the moment an opportunity presents.
I was unable to find any sequels to this story.

1 comment:

  1. This one sounds like a man in a sheet to me - lowering real estate values, indeed. A cause for the prank is given pretty specifically!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated. Because no one gets to be rude and obnoxious around here except the author of this blog.