"...we should pass over all biographies of 'the good and the great,' while we search carefully the slight records of wretches who died in prison, in Bedlam, or upon the gallows."
~Edgar Allan Poe

Friday, July 31, 2026

Weekend Link Dump

 



Welcome to this week's Link Dump!

Just watch out for the Strange Company HQ bouncer.  He doesn't play games.



Disaster hits HMS Queen Charlotte.

A shipwreck that is a "monument to 19th century diplomacy."

The "golden age of languages."

The ancient Greeks sure liked to put curses on each other.

Scientists come up with a lot of really, really, bad ideas.

The fight to keep a murderer behind bars.

The link between amusement parks and graveyards.

A good argument for making your own ice cream.

The theory that Henry Carey was the son of Henry VIII.

A possible explanation for the "Great Dying."

The fad of "white mourning."

How Carrie Brown went from "happy bride" to possible Jack the Ripper victim.

The serial killer who's been compared to Hannibal Lecter.  This is a particularly strange and dark story.

I have to admit, even I never dreamed the phrase "uterine exorcism" would turn up on this blog.  Never underestimate me, I guess.

Medieval views of food could be...interesting.

A brief history of boredom.

A visit to Herne Bay.

A shape-shifting monster in Tucson.

The world of 16th century theaters.

Why we talk about an "elephant in the room."

Examining "Foreign Accent Syndrome."

The life of Empress Matilda.

The inspiration behind "Jaws."

A very bad fiance.

That's it for this week!  See you on Monday, when we'll meet a boggart!  In the meantime, here's Hoyt Axton.



2 comments:

  1. I'd like to go to Herne Bay now. There's something about small seaside resorts that I like. I'd never heard of the Great Dying, but the new explanation for it seems logical. And all those languages! How could so many exist in such a relatively small population as existed then? It's interesting that medieval medicine knew how important - perhaps too much so - food was to health. I have read about Henry Carey when researching the Border troubles; his son was also a warden of the Marches, and the man who first told James VI that he was James I. Foreign accent syndrome is just bizarre. Also bizarre - and sad - is the story of Robert Maudsley; though I'm hardly what I would call soft on criminals, it seems his fate is rather horrendous, considering worse killers have received less punishment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maudsley's story really got to me, too. I'm not usually one to speak up for a multiple murderer, but the treatment he was given seems almost bizarrely harsh, especially, as you say, since even worse criminals have been given much lighter sentences.

      Delete

Comments are moderated. Because no one gets to be rude and obnoxious around here except the author of this blog.